Sunday, August 21, 2011

Flying geese frustrations

This weeks skill builder QAL block, 'Breaking Out' tested me. I do believe I failed the test. I learnt a whole lot though.

Blogger won't let me move any photos either so rather than reloading them all I will run with the mish mash order. Frustrated!

Here is the block. Doesn't look that offensive does it? I actually made this yesterday but was so incredibly unhappy with it that I put it away in the SBS QAL project shoebox without taking a photo. I was thinking perhaps I'd start again and make a whole new block. I slept on it and decided to try to resurrect this one. This is the end result. Still pretty dodgy if you ask me.

What went wrong?
I tried to rush this to fit the block into my little boys morning nap.
I was super tired after a girls night out and too little sleep.
I really started getting into trouble with the 2 & 7/8' squares - I should have left it for another time right there. We talk in centimetres here in Australia. I am generally fine with inches but adding all those pesky 7/8's ...sheesh. I needed pen and paper.

The skill builder sampler offers different methods for sewing the same blocks. This weeks method did not work for me. I think I made too scant a seam allowance. My 1/4' foot doesn't sew a 1/4' I've discovered so I have been eyeballing it. Worked fine last week.
I spent a good amount of my time with my unpicker! I woke up this morning and wondered if I could rescue this block? I am still not sure if I have. I know that quilting can hide many sins. This quilt is destined for my home so I can live with the mistakes.

The flying geese method that brought me unstuck. Who knows? Sewing a straight line could have brought me unstuck yesterday.

I know better than to rush. To rush when tired is sewing suicide. Everything takes twice as long when you rush!!

On a happier, free form, colourful note I made this.

What is it? I don't even know. I was keen to do some quilting with embroidery floss. I love little stars. I had a few short car trips this week and this was a great project to take along.

It is destined to be the front of a pouch to hold similar, future projects. It measures 9.5 x 12" so will be a good sized pouch. I plan to use ticking for the lining and other side. I think it's pretty cute. I find it very difficult to tell people what it is when they ask.

The ginormous project continues to take up most of my time and couch space. I have become obsessed with it. Thankfully there is a deadline for it as it will be gifted for a birthday. I cannot wait for it to be done! The bare minimum of housework and chores are getting done at the moment and I am drinking far too many caffeinated beverages as I try to GET IT FINISHED!

No comments:

Post a Comment