Thursday, April 5, 2012

Finishes and beginnings

I am H.O.P.E.L.E.S.S. But I am trying to be a better blogger.

I have some stuff to share. My Sherbet Pips tumbler quilt. Hand quilted with red and white embroidery cottons. I ended up with a pink binding because my supplies shop was all out of the fabric I had in mind. I really like how it looks. I opted to keep the odd shaped edges and bound it with a straight (non bias) binding, pivoting and folding at each point. Needless to say for such a little quilt it took a bit of time to get the binding on but it worked out really well. A good learning experience.
And the back. Pieced with some red and blue and a strip of tumblers I had as extras. This quilt was really an experiment from start to finish and it came out better than I could have hoped. I will definitely being doing more tumbler quilts in the future - a great way to show cute fabrics like these. It's a bit of a weird size - 41" x 62" and shape but I reckon it's pretty cute.


I have been on a bit of a cushion making rampage since Christmas - an awesome way to use up scraps, extras and all those batting cut offs. So we have...
..from L to R ; Sherbet Pips tumbler, ugly wonky square in a square (reject and reminder from SBS) and little squares in mostly Heather Bailey. They are posing on our day bed for the photo but spend their time squished under us on the couch inside.

I have some more that haven't been photographed yet. This post is turning into a to-do list. Eek!


A finish. HST hot and cold ziggy zaggy. Hand quilted in all different hot and cold embroidery cottons (am yet to see how this method holds up). Bound in a black and white stripe which makes for a good, crisp finish I think.


A bit of a closer look at the quilting - I first quilted 1/4" from the zig zag seams then did varying width zig zag straight line quilting. It is more densely quilted than I anticipated and took longer than expected as it's not especially big - a good lap size I guess.
And the back. Pieced in some upcycled off cuts from my Mum's next door neighbour. A few extra HSTs in there too. Oh, and my cheeky monkey boy who likes to ham it up for the camera.


This quilt has gone to live with my Mum who gushed over it every time she saw it, or it was mentioned. Works well for me too, I get to see it occasionlly.
I love hand quilting! :)


A sneak peek at my latest obsession. This quilt got in my head after seeing this picture
I couldn't stop thinking about it. So, I made up one block. and continued making them until I had 30. Added a piano key border and voila! another bed sized quilt awaiting my stitchy fingers.

I also managed to make and gift a baby quilt to a perfect little baby boy. I have been busily crafting away just not reporting my crafti-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment