Monday, April 23, 2012

Stuff I made

I may have been quiet on the blogging front but I have been a busily crafting. Here are a few things I have made, or am making since I last blogged ( excluding QAL progress which gets a post all of it's own).

Some big, soft, fat, fluffy cushions. Here they are on our day bed on my new favouritist quilt ever. More on that later.

This little pink and yellow beauty is made up of Tallahassee blocks from here and totally inspired by this cutie . I just hand quilted it with Pearl 8 cotton.
Close up of my courthouse steps showing X detail in the hearth. Inspired by this pillow
And my latest and bestest quilty finish. I don't really know what to call it. It's a bit dappled as I took the golden photo opportunity when it arose yesterday. No mean feat as the following needed to occur simultaneously - baby needed to be safe in bed, preferably asleep AND it needed to stop raining long enough for the railing to be dry and mud free and so I could take the pic. The stars aligned and voila! a dappledy picture. It hasn't been washed yet, it'll be very interesting to see how it looks after a wash. Hand quilted in Pearl 8 (my new thing for sure) in all the white sections, each border piano key and tied in the centre of the multi coloured squares. Did I mention how much I love it?

I LOVE IT! It's backed in a super wide special backing fabric, hot pink. It was nice to not piece the back for a change and it makes the basting process simpler as no bows and puckers to deal with due to crooked seams.
An icky, big and cranky spider. I accidentally busted up her web when I hung my quilt over the deck railing. I dislodged several smaller residents but was mighty pleased this big girl didn't get on my quilt. I don't like spiders very much which is problematic as we live in a spidery kind of place, and with all the rain we've been having they seem to be more visible than normal. I like mozzies even less so she gets to stay. She's outside at least. She is a golden orb spider, and spins enormous webs to catch her prizes and they grow pretty big - her abdomen is about an inch long. No joke!!
A close up of my quilting. So happy with this quilt.

A bright and scrappy 'fenced in' quilt from Elizabeth Hartman's Practical Guide to Patchwork. I have added extra border to give it enough drop for my sisters queen sized bed. Yesterday morning when I got up at 5:30am I had 36 trimmed but separate blocks. By 1pm I had a basted quilt ready to be quilted. I went pretty hard to get this done. As I baste outside on our deck, which is covered, I need a rain free period to do it. It started raining again last night...and hasn't stopped!

Doesn't that fat red strip in bottom right stand out? This is the 4th biggish quilt I've made with these bright materials. I never thought I'd say it but I need a break from them. I love this quilt but I am glad it's going to live somewhere else. I have just 3 weeks to get this baby done and gifted before we head OS for a month. Eek, can I do it? We will all have to wait and see.

Have a fun and safe week. Ness xx

No comments:

Post a Comment